Monday, January 18, 2010

Coming soon: Rabbi Steinsaltz's talk on MLK

Last night I had the privilege of seeing Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz* speak on the legacy of Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. from a Jewish perspective. I managed to capture the highlights from most of the talk on my Palm. A few minutes from the end of the talk, I began receiving very evil looks from the couple in front of me (who were evidently disturbed by the not-quite-silent squeaking of my Palm Centro's buttons).

So in the future, I'll take notes with pen and paper. In the meantime, I'll attempt to make a rectification by posting a few highlights from the talk here on the Gathering Sparks blog over the next week or so.

For now, here's a short one: when the entire audience rose as Rabbi Steinsaltz ascended the platform, I remembered that there was a blessing to pronounce upon seeing a great Torah scholar...but I couldn't remember what it was! Anyways, here it is (with nitty-gritty details for the halachically-minded):

Blessed are You, LORD our God, Master of the universe,
who has given wisdom to those who fear Him.



* Pronounced Ah-deen Shtein-salts.

No comments: