Friday, April 2, 2010

Pirkei Avot, a.k.a. How to Be a Mensch

A few posts back when I introduced the April selection for the Jewish Book of the Month club, I wrote the following:
I first read Pirkei Avot last year, and I fell in love with the depth of its practical wisdom.

If you're the type that appreciates books that are full of practical wisdom for your spiritual walk, I think you will love Pirkei Avot.
I've now begun reading R. Twerski's commentary, and I liked this statement from the introduction.
The human being exercises the uniqueness of his spirit when he begins to look away from his own needs and desires and look toward helping others. In instructing us how to develop the finest character traits, Ethics of the Fathers teaches us how to be a mentsch, a truly human being.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

im just posting this comment to let you know this was wonderful keep it up