Thursday, July 15, 2010

J-BOM: let your yes be yes

From this month's J-BOM selection:
" 'Verbal fraud is worse than monetary fraud.' " The words came out in a rapid Sephardic Hebrew. "Is that statement familiar to you?"
"Shimon ben Yochai in Baba Metzia," I said, giving the Talmudic source of the quote he had used.
"You are David Malter's son, no doubt of that. You experienced both kinds of fraud last Sunday night, I understand. We'll discuss it on Sunday. Michael enjoyed sailing with you. Shabbat shalom. What?" He spoke away from the phone. "Yes." He came back on the phone. "Michael says to tell you Shabbat shalom for him."
His voice echoed inside my head for quite a while after I hung up the phone.
The Promise, p. 60 (Knopf, 1969)
I thought the statement from Shimon ben Yochai correlated well to one of the sayings of Yeshua:
Let your yes be yes and your no be no; anything more than that is from the evil one.
Thoughts?

No comments: